Sunday, May 1, 2011

Productivity and Bereavement

Somewhat luckily, my computer was feeling a bit under the weather for a few weeks there. So, naturally, I have been spending a lot of time in the studio.

I finally finished the barbie piece, but now I have to build individual shadow boxes for each of them.







I've also been working on a series of portraits of the women who inspired me when I was a child. Its a fun project, only using black and white paint, on paper, and I'm leaving them relatively loose.

Margaret Sanger

Rachel Carson


More to come!


Also in the works: a painting inspired by the classic film Ever After, starring Drew Barrymore!


And: whether or not I ever finish it, I'm starting a quilt in which every square will depict a photograph that I have of Hans, who died a little over a month ago. I may sew his ashes into a mesh material on the opposite side, and display it hanging from the middle of a room. We'll see how far I even get with it. One step at a time, one day at a time.

1 comment:

Marika McCoola said...

Jen-

I really love the black and white portraits you're doing. The loose brush work is very nice and you're capturing a spark of life in each woman. I can't wait to see more.

-Marika